The University of Minnesota Extension and Minnesota Soybean Growers are hosting winter workshops across the state that focus on challenges in soybean production.
Topics at the “Strategic Farming” workshops include:
• Growing soybeans that outcompete weeds. What are the impacts of row spacing, plant population, early canopy closure, and insect and disease pressure on soybean competitiveness?
• Outsmarting your opponent. Beat weeds at their own game. What do we know about the biology of our key weeds, and how can we use this to our advantage?
• Breaking the cycle of loving a technology to death. Get off the resistance treadmill — what are some new viable weed management options you can implement now?
• Implementing a game plan. It’s the two-minute warning. Do you settle for a field goal or go for the touchdown? What is your strategy to win against weeds, one of the key yield-robbers in soybeans?
Preregistration is requested at least five days prior to the event to assist in meal and program planning. There is no fee to attend, thanks to sponsorship from the Minnesota Soybean Research and Promotion Council.
Locations and dates are:
• Alexandria, 9 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Jan. 17. Lunch included. Holiday Inn, 5637 Hwy. 29.
• Willmar, 7:30-11 a.m. Jan. 30. Breakfast buffet included. Best Western Plus, 240 23rd St. SE
• Fairmont, 9 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Feb. 8. Lunch included. Knights of Columbus, 920 E. 10th St. Note: The Private Pesticide Applicator recertification program will run concurrently. To renew certification, you must attend the entire workshop from 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
• New Ulm, 9 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Feb. 12. Lunch included. Best Western Plus, 2101 S. Broadway St.
• McIntosh, 9 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Feb. 15. Lunch included. Community Center, 115 NW Broadway. Note: The Private Pesticide Applicator recertification program will run concurrently. To renew certification, you must attend the entire workshop from 9 a.m.-2:30 p.m.
• Slayton, 9 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Feb. 22. Lunch included. Murray County Fairgrounds, 4-H Building, Exhibit Hall. Note: The Small Grains Program will follow from 12:30 to 4 p.m.
• Hutchinson, 12:30-4 p.m. Feb. 26. Lunch included. Hutchinson Event Center, 1005 Hwy. 15.
• Faribault, 9 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Feb. 27. Lunch included. Rice County Fairgrounds, 4-H Building, 1900 Fairgrounds Drive, No. 17. Note: Bonus crops topics will be presented after lunch from 12:30 to 2 p.m.
• Appleton, 9 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Feb. 28. Lunch included. Shooters Bar & Grill, 530 Christenson Ave.
• Austin, time TBD, March 2. Lunch included. Holiday Inn Conference Center, 1701 4th St. NW. Note: Program part of and in cooperation with Northern Country Co-op, Adams, “Answer Acre Summit.”
For more information, visit z.umn.edu/strategic-farming.
Source: U-M Extension